Heels Draw 1-1 At Wake Forest

Heels Draw 1-1 At Wake Forest
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - No. 1 North Carolina finished in a 1-1 draw at No. 24 Wake Forest on Saturday night at Spry Stadium.

A regular-season record crowd of 4,587 people took in tonight's battle between two of the premier soccer programs in the nation.

North Carolina (3-1-4, 0-0-4 ACC) received a first-half goal by senior Josh Rice and that appeared to hold up until Wake Forest scored a goal in the 89th minute to send the match past regulation.

The match looked all but in the hands of the Heels after keeper Brendan Moore made a penalty kick save in the 82nd minute

Penalty kick saved by Moore in the 82nd minute, and made another big time save in the late stages of the second half when he pushed aside a shot of a deflection in the 88th minute.

However, the ensuing corner kick saw Wake score on a header by Jalen Robinson to send the game into overtime, Carolina's sixth match that hasn't finished in 90 minutes.

Moore made five saves on the evening, while Wake keeper Alec Ferrell had seven stops of his own.

Possession was fairly equal in the beginning with neither team mustering a shot until the 13th minute. Wake's Michael Gamble was the culprit of the match's first shot.

Minutes later the Deacs' Luca Gimenez had a good look on net, but Moore made his first save of the evening to keep the match scoreless.

Gimenez slipped a cross in the 19th minute that went underneath Moore and was loose in front of the goal, but the Heels defense maintained its composure and made the clear.

UNC was able to turn the momentum minutes later when Jordan McCrary sent a cross over to Verneri Valimaa, but his header went just wide of the net in the 21st minute.

The back-and-forth action led to Gamble missing a golden opportunity to give the home standing Deamon Deacons the lead when he misfired over the net from the top of the 18-yard box.

Carolina responded immediately with a left-footed blast by Omar Holness that was handled cleanly by Ferrell in the 25th minute.

The Heels continued to put pressure on the Deacs defense and it finally paid off when Rice deposited his shot into the back of the net at the 25:27 mark. McCrary found Rice inside the box, and he promptly posted his man up, turned and fired into the upper-right corner for a 1-0 Carolina advantage.

UNC had a handful of quality scoring chances to double its lead later in the first half. First it was Tyler Engel who put a shot just wide left after Colton Storm made a fast-break attack down the right side of the field.

Rice nearly struck pay dirt in the 38th minute, but his shot was pushed aside. On the same sequence, Valimaa beat his defender and ripped a bending shot that was shoved over the cross bar by Ferrell.

In the second half, Valimaa had another good look at goal, but his shot sailed high over the woodwork in the 58th minute.

North Carolina hosts Duke next Friday at 7 p.m., on ESPN3.

Related Links