September 28, 2013
Sept. 28, 2013
East Carolina 55, North Carolina 31
• UNC is now 7-2 at Kenan Stadium under Larry Fedora, with losses coming against Georgia Tech (2012) and ECU.
• The 86 combined points are the most in the history of the series (previous was 65 in a 34-31 Pirate win in 2007). The 55 points are the most by the Pirates in the series (previous was 38 in 1975).
ECU ran 101 plays, most ever by an opponent against the Tar Heels. The previous high was 95 by Maryland in 1992.
• The 180 combined plays from scrimmage are the most in any UNC game. The previous high was 172 in 1992 in a Tar Heel win at Maryland.
• The Pirates gained 603 yards, the eighth-most in any game against UNC and the second-most by an opponent in Kenan Stadium (656 by Duke in 1989).
• The 55 points are the third-most scored by the opposition in Kenan Stadium (68 by Georgia Tech in 2012 and 59 by Maryland in 2002).
• QB Bryn Renner completed 28 of 46 passes for a career-high 366 yards and three touchdowns. Renner has 61 career touchdown passes, passing T.J. Yates for second in school history. Renner is seven shy of UNC's all-time mark of 68 set by Darian Durant from 2001-04.
• Today marked the 10th career game in which Renner has thrown at least three touchdown passes. It was also his 10th career game with 300 or more passing yards, extending his own school record.
• Renner ranks 24th in ACC history in career passing yards with 7,573. He passed Maryland's Scott Milanovich, Wake Forest's Mike Elkins, NC State's Mike Glennon, Virginia's Matt Schaub and Florida State's Drew Weatherford in today's game.
• The teams combined for 1,068 yards of total offense - 603 by East Carolina and 465 by the Tar Heels.
• WR Quinshad Davis threw his first career touchdown pass in the first half, a 32-yard completion to T.J. Thorpe. It was Davis's first career pass attempt.
• Davis caught five passes for 111 yards, his fourth career 100-yard receiving game and his first such-game this season.
• Thorpe's touchdown was his first since returning a kickoff 100 yards for a score at Clemson in 2011. It was his first career touchdown reception.
• WR Nic Platt scored his first career touchdown, a 23-yard catch and run in the third quarter. The touchdown was Platt's first reception of the season.
• S Tre Boston picked up his second interception of the season and the 10th of his career in the first half. • Carolina now has four interceptions on the year and Boston's two leads the team.
• PK Thomas Moore kicked four extra points and is now 61 for 61 in his career. Including 126 consecutive made PATs by Casey Barth, Carolina has made 187 consecutive extra points.
• Starting tailback Romar Morris and starting wide receiver Sean Tapley did not play due to injuries.