November 23, 2013
UNC-Richmond Postgame Notes
North Carolina 82, Richmond 72
November 23, 2013
- • The Tar Heels are now 3-1 this season and 285-80 under head coach Roy Williams (in 11 seasons).
- • Carolina plays defending national champion Louisville on Sunday. The Tar Heels have won eight of 11 games all-time against the Cardinals, including an 83-73 win in 2008 in Charlotte in the NCAA East Regional final. That is the most recent matchup between the two programs. Sunday's game will mark the ninth time in 12 meetings that the teams have played on neutral courts.
- • Sophomore guard Marcus Paige scored a career-high 26 points vs. Richmond and made a career-best six three-pointers (previous highs were 23 vs. Holy Cross and four threes on two occasions).
- • Paige had not made more than four three-pointers in his first 38 games as a Tar Heel before sinking five treys in the second half of today's game.
- • Three of Paige's three-pointers came in the final 8:40 after Richmond tied the game at 56-all. He hit one with 8:22 to play for a 59-56 lead, one with 5:35 to play for a 64-58 lead and another with 2:39 to play for a 71-62 advantage.
- • Paige made all six of Carolina's three-pointers today and has 14 of the team's 16 from behind the arc in the first four games.
- • Sophomore forward Brice Johnson had career highs in points with 24 and rebounds with 12 and registered his first collegiate double-double. His previous highs were 16 points against Chaminade last year and nine rebounds in UNC's previous game vs. Belmont.
- • Johnson was Carolina's leading scorer in the first half with 10 points, helping UNC rally from a 17-8 deficit to lead, 36-33, at the break.
- • Johnson and Paige are the only Tar Heels to score in double figures in each of the first four games.
- • Johnson was 8 for 12 from the free throw line. Prior to today, he had never made more than two free throws in a college game.
- • Carolina scored a season-high 27 points off the Spiders' 17 turnovers.
- • The Tar Heels had a 10-0 edge in fast break points.
- • Marcus Paige played 38 minutes, the most by any Tar Heel this year.
- • Carolina has scored 80 or more points in three of the first four games this season.
- • The Tar Heels made 26 of 37 free throws and shot 70.3 percent from the line, including 76.5 percent in the second half. That comes after a 22 for 48 performance in a three-point loss to Belmont in UNC's previous game. James Michael McAdoo, Brice Johnson and J.P. Tokoto were a combined 13 of 18 today after making a collective 17 of 40 against Belmont.
- • Carolina has come from behind to win in two of the first four games. UNC trailed Holy Cross by three and won by eight and trailed Richmond by nine (17-8) before winning, 82-72. UNC also rallied from an 11-point deficit against Belmont to take an eight-point lead, but eventually lost, 83-80.
- • The Tar Heels lead the series with Richmond, 15-2.