February 23, 2013
UNC-NC State Postgame Notes
North Carolina 76, NC State 65
- Tar Heels are now 19-8 overall, 9-5 in the ACC and 13-1 at the Smith Center
- Carolina leads the series against NC State, 148-76, including 72-22 in Chapel Hill and 22-5 in the Smith Center
- Roy Williams is now 25-2 against NC State, including 20-2 at Carolina.
- The Tar Heels have now won at least one game against the Wolfpack in each of the last 10 seasons
- Carolina has won 14 of the last 15, 20 of the last 22 and 37 of the last 46 games against NC State
- Reggie Bullock scored 22 points and tied his career high with 13 rebounds. He also had three assists and no turnovers. It was his fifth career 20-point game (fourth this season) and fourth career double-double (second this season). Bullock also had 13 rebounds at Texas.
- Bullock made five three-pointers, including three in the final 8:21. It was the second time this season that he made five three-pointers, the first time since the McNeese State game on Dec. 22nd.
- Freshman point guard Marcus Paige played his finest game as a Tar Heel with 14 points, eight assists, no turnovers and three steals in 31 minutes. He scored all 14 of his points in the second half, including 11 in the final 7:15. Paige scored four more points in the final 7:15 of the game than he did for the entire game against the Wolfpack in Raleigh earlier this season.
- Paige's three-pointer with 7:15 to play gave Carolina the lead for good at 57-55.
- Paige's assist-error ratio of 8 to 0 was his best in ACC play (previous was 6:0 against Maryland) and his second-best of the season (9:0 against McNeese State).
- Carolina trailed 53-49 with 8:36 to play, then went on a 21-4 run to take a 70-57 lead. Reggie Bullock scored 11 and Marcus Paige scored eight of UNC's 21 points in that stretch.
- Carolina was out-rebounded, 43-34, and the Pack had a 14-10 advantage in offensive rebounds, but Carolina out-scored NC State, 15-7 on second chance points.
- The Tar Heels also out-scored NC State, 24-8, in points off turnovers.State committed 17 turnovers to just 10 for the Tar Heels. The Tar Heels forced 12 turnovers in the first half (State averaged 12.2 for the game coming into today).
- In the last four games since P.J. Hairston moved into the starting lineup, Carolina has a 77-38 edge in points off turnovers.
- The Tar Heels have committed only 26 turnovers in the last three games (seven against Virginia, nine at Georgia Tech and 10 vs. NC State).
- Dexter Strickland had eight points and four assists. He has 17 assists and two turnovers in the last three games.
- Lorenzo Brown's 12 assists are a single-game high against UNC this year. Previous high was 11 by Brown in Raleigh.