UNC Heads To GT For ACC Coastal Series
No. 1 North Carolina heads to Atlanta Friday for a three-game ACC Coastal series against Georgia Tech. The Tar Heels hold the top spot in the ACC Coastal with a 19-3 conference mark, while the Yellow Jackets sit in third place with a 12-12 conference record.
News & Notes
• Carolina is in position to finish among the top 5 in team scoring and team ERA, a feat accomplished by only three other teams since 1989.
• North Carolina became the first team in the country to reach 40 wins with its 10-2 win over Charlotte and has a chance to reach 45 wins for the seventh time in eight years this weekend.
• UNC will also be in search of its 20th ACC win of the year this weekend, a feat the Tar Heels have accomplished in five of the last seven years. The most ACC wins for a UNC club is 22 set in the 2006, 2008 and 2012 seasons.
• Junior ace Kent Emanuel will be going for his 10th win of the year on Friday which would set a new single-season career high for the Woodstock, Ga., native. Emanuel claimed nine wins as a freshman and followed up with eight more as a sophomore.
• Since 2001, the Tar Heels have had five pitchers post 10 or more wins in a season and each year that a Tar Heel has hit the mark in the last 12 years UNC has advanced to the College World Series.
• The 2013 season marks the first time since 2009 that two Tar Heels have tallied at least 60 RBIs in a season when Dustin Ackley (73), Kyle Seager (62) and Mark Fleury (60) accomplished the feat.
• Moran currently leads the nation in both runs scored (63) and RBIs (75) and would become just the fourth player in the NCAA since 1980 to accomplish the feat.
• UNC has outscored its opponents 165-30 in the first three innings this year and own the best scoring margin in the country at 6.1.
• Carolina maintained its hold on the top spot in this week's RPI and has been No. 1 the past three weeks.
North Carolina-Georgia Tech Series History
• Friday's contest will be the 124th between North Carolina and Georgia Tech.
• The Yellow Jackets hold a 68-55 advantage in the series after claiming a 2-1 series win in Chapel Hill last year, the last series loss for the Tar Heels.
• Since Georgia Tech joined the ACC in 1980:
Overall - Georgia Tech leads, 59-47
at Georgia Tech - Georgia Tech leads, 26-19
Last 5 - Georgia Tech leads, 4-1
Last 10 - Georgia Tech leads, 7-3