Tar Heels Embark On 10th CWS Trip
Tar Heels Earn 10th CWS Trip
Top overall seed North Carolina will be making its 10th College World Series appearance, including its sixth in the last eight years, after beating South Carolina in the Super Regionals two games to one.
The Tar Heels will meet a familiar foe in ACC rival NC State (49-14) to open the CWS at 3 p.m. ET on Sunday.
Carolina claimed the season series, 2-1, thanks to a 2-1 win in 18 innings at the ACC Tournament. The teams split the regular season series in Raleigh, with game three getting rained out.
Also on UNC's side of the bracket are No. 4 seed LSU (59-7) and UCLA (44-17), who will play at 8 p.m. ET on Sunday.
All of the 2013 College World Series games can be seen on ESPN and ESPN2 along with WatchESPN.com.
• Carolina owns the most overall wins since the start of the 2006 season and the Tar Heels have elevated their game in postseason play.
• Since 2006 the Tar Heels have claimed the most NCAA Tournament wins.
• Carolina has posted 47 NCAA Tournament wins since 2006, one more than super regional opponent South Carolina.
• UNC is 15-19 all-time in the College World Series and advanced to the final series in 2006 and 2007.
Most NCAA Wins Since 2006
47 - North Carolina
46 - South Carolina
35 - Oregon State
Back To Omaha
• Carolina will be making its sixth CWS appearance in the last eight years and 10th overall.
• The Tar Heels own a 15-19 overall mark in the CWS, including a 13-11 record since 2006.
• The 10th CWS appearance ties the Tar Heels for the 13th most in NCAA history.
• Only LSU has more appearances in the 2013 field.
• UNC is the 11th team to make six CWS appearances in an eight-year span joining Arizona, Arizona State, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Northern Colorado, Oklahoma State, Southern California, Stanford and Texas.
• The last team to accomplish the feat was Stanford who did it in 1997 and then five straight trips from 1999 to 2003.
Fox In Rare Company
• UNC head coach Mike Fox has returned the Tar Heels to the CWS for the sixth time in his 15 years as Carolina's head coach.
• Fox is one of 13 head coaches to both play in and coach in the CWS as he was a member of Carolina's 1978 CWS team.
• Only six head coaches have both played for and coached their alma mater in the CWS; Fox is joined by: Mikee Gillespie (USC), George Horton (Cal State Fullerton), Jack Kaiser (St. John's), Mark Marquess (Stanford) and Joe Russo (St. John's).
• Fox was 4-for-16 (.250) with a home run, a triple and three RBIs in the 1978 CWS.
UNC's NCAA Tournament History
• Carolina is making its 28th NCAA Tournament appearance and has posted a 94-62 all-time record in the event.
• The Tar Heels are 31-7 as the host in the NCAA Tournament and had a run of 16 straight wins snapped a year ago against St. John's.
• UNC is 6-1 in advancing to the Super Regional round when hosting a regional and 5-0 in advancing to the College World Series when hosting a Super Regional after its series win over South Carolina.
• NCAA Tournament Appearances: 28 - 1948, 60, 64, 66, 69, 78, 82-84,
89-90, 93, 95, 98, 2000, 02-13
• Consecutive NCAA Tournament Appearance: 12th
• CWS Appearances: 10
2011 Tar Heels Making A Return Trip
• The 2013 College World Series appearance will be the second visit for nine Tar Heel players who played in the 2011 CWS.
• Three starting position players from 2011 return for the Tar Heels, including ACC Player of the Year Colin Moran who hit .333 in his first tirp to Omaha.
• Senior Chaz Frank and junior Brain Holberton also started all three games in 2011.
• No one made a bigger splash in Omaha in 2011 than junior starting pitcher Kent Emanuel who twirled a four-hit shutout of Texas in the second game as a freshman.
• Relievers Chris Munnelly and Tate Parrish also appeared in Omaha.
History Against The CWS Field
• The Tar Heels will open the 2013 College World Series against a very familiar foe in NC State.
• The matchup will be the 285th meeting between to two schools and will equal the most played rivalry in UNC baseball history with the series with Virginia.
• The two teams split the season series before UNC emerged with a 2-1 win in 18 innings at the ACC Tournament.
• UNC and LSU have met four previous times with the two most recent coming in the 2008 College World Series.
• The Tar Heels won both of those contests to even the all-time series. LSU won a pair of games in regular season tournaments to open the 1990 and 1997 seasons.
• UNC owns a 5-1 edge on UCLA and a 1-0 edge in postseason play after an 8-5 win in the 1993 NCAA Central Regional.
• The Tar Heels and Bruins played a home and home series in 2000 and 2001 with Carolina sweeping the series in Los Angeles before the teams split a two-game series in Chapel Hill in 2001.
UNC And ACC Wins Record Within Reach
• With Carolina's 5-4 win over South Carolina in the NCAA Chapel Hill Super Regional the Tar Heels posted their 57th win of the year, equaling the mark of the 2007 team that reached the CWS Finals.
• The 2013 group is the sixth team in school history to record 50 wins in a season and the fifth since 2006.
• A win in the CWS would give the Tar Heels 58 for the year, the most in school history and the most by an ACC team since Florida State won 60 in 2002.
• Three wins would tie Carolina with the FSU team from 2002 and the 1991 Clemson squad for the most wins in ACC history.
Offensive Explosion In 2013
• The 2012 season saw the Tar Heels eliminated in the regional round for just the second time since 2006 and as a result the Heels finished below 400 runs scored for the first time since 2005.
• The 2013 season has been an offensive resurgence for the Tar Heels as they have scored more runs than any other UNC team during the BBCOR era.
• The Tar Heels lead the country in runs scored at 529 so far and are 12 runs shy of tying the school record for runs scored in a season set in 2002.
2012 UNC Offense/Ranks
2013 UNC Offense/Ranks
Closing In On School Records
• With the offensive resurgence in 2013 the Tar Heels are closing in on a trio of offensive school records.
• The Tar Heels are within striking distance of the following team marks:
|Record (Year)||2013 Total|