February 16, 2013
UNC-Virginia Postgame Notes
North Carolina 93, Virginia 81
- Tar Heels are now 17-8 overall, 7-5 in the ACC and 12-1 at home.
- Carolina scored 93 points, the most the Tar Heels have scored in ACC play this year and the most since scoring 97 against McNeese State on Dec. 22, 2012.
- The Tar Heels scored 24 points more than Virginia had allowed in a game all season (previous high against Virginia was 69 by Maryland).
- Carolina scored its 70th and 71st point on a Brice Johnson basket with 9:15 to play in the second half.
- The Tar Heels scored 53 points in the second half, which is more than Virginia has allowed in 11 games this season.
- UNC scored one more point in the second half today than it did in Charlottesville in the first matchup this year (a 61-52 UVa win).
- UNC made 13 three-pointers, most by Carolina in an ACC game this year.
- Sophomore guard P.J. Hairston scored a career-high 29 points, the most points by a Tar Heel this season (second straight game with a career scoring high).
- Hairston made six three-pointers, a career-best, tying the most by a Tar Heel this season (Leslie McDonald made six in Maui against Mississippi State).
- Hairston scored 52 points and grabbed 15 rebounds against Duke and Virginia this week.
- Virginia shot 62.5 percent from the floor in the first half, the highest percentage in a half by an opponent this year (previous was 59.1 by Butler in the first half).
- Virginia shot 58.5 percent from the floor for the game, the highest percentage by an opponent this year (previous was 54.4 at Miami by the Hurricanes).
- Virginia percentage from the floor (.585) was the highest percentage in a Carolina win in the 10 years that Roy Williams has been the Tar Heel head coach
(previous high was 55.4 by Old Dominion in Las Vegas on Nov. 23, 2007).
- This was the second time in the last three home games the Tar Heels fell behind by double digits but came back to win. Virginia led 19-9 and 29-19, but the Tar Heels outscored the Cavaliers 74-52 over the final 28:52.
- The opponents have shot better than 50 percent from the floor in five of the last six halves against Carolina (Miami both halves, Duke in the second half and Virginia both halves today).
- Reggie Bullock had a career-high four steals today.
- Joe Harris's 27 points are the most by an opponent this season.
- James Michael McAdoo grabbed 10 rebounds, his ninth double-digit rebound game this season.
- Marcus Paige scored 17 points, his second-highest scoring game (he had 19 against Virginia Tech) and the seventh double-figure outing this year.
- Dexter Strickland had 12 points and six assists. He has scored in double figures in consecutive games for the first time in ACC play this year (had 14 at Duke).